What should you do during a cyclone?
During the Cyclone:
- Switch off electrical mains.
- Keep doors and windows shut.
- Disconnect gas connection.
- Drink boiled or chlorinated water.
- Watch out for broken electrical poles, wires and other sharp objects.
- Seek a safe shelter as soon as possible.
- Stay indoors during the heavy rains.
How do you stay safe in a cyclone?
Before evacuating to safer places, turn off the power, gas supply. Follow the orders issued by the government. When the cyclone hits, disconnect all electrical appliances. Stay indoors, preferably in the strongest part of your house.
What will you do before a cyclone?
Get organised and save or store important personal documents
- Turn off all electricity, gas and water; unplug all appliances.
- Clear your property of small loose items and secure any larger items.
- Make sure shutters are closed or use packing tape on your windows to hold any broken glass in place.
What is the strongest room in a house?
The strongest room in the house is usually the smallest room, on ground level, without external windows and the safest place to shelter during severe storms. During a storm, stay well away from glass doors and windows, in case any flying debris crashes through the glass.
How do I prepare my house for a storm?
How to Prepare Your Home for a Storm
- Clear limbs and trim trees. …
- Secure fences. …
- Secure furniture. …
- Check gutters. …
- Protect the critical areas. …
- Protect your valuables. …
- Stock a basic emergency kit. …
- Create a family emergency plan.